Now you can Subscribe using RSS

Submit your Email

Friday 6 January 2017

Anxiety in the Workplace and How to Manage

Rachel

                     So generally I think it’s really important to talk about mental health in the workplace. I can only speak for myself but my work place anxiety is very specific – I have a deep rooted fear of messing up, being fired or generally being told I’m not good enough. I can even remember my first job – just working behind the tills at a shop, I would be terrified to give someone the wrong change or not clean an area properly after the shop closed.




It’s very physical for me. Like if I’m physically away from something or someone I don’t think it can hurt me so I avoid people and situations I don’t think I can deal with. My symptoms are also very physical such as shaking and feeling like I'm going to throw up. As you can imagine, this doesn’t work very well for meetings or bosses who sit right next to you… and productivity can massively suffer too making you feel even worse – talk about vicious circle.

It’s easy to feel all of the below..

“It’s all going to go wrong”

“I’m not meant to be here”

“My boss is going to shout at me”

But the good news is there’s small ways to overcome these thoughts which can lead to big change! Speaking to your boss, doing breathing exercise at your desk and having a proper lunch all help. Also trying to really focus on the below positive mantras:


Affirmations – changing your thought patterns:

“I am meant to be here”

“You’re doing it just right”

“I’m in control”

Trying to really stay in control and top of your workload helps, lists and regularly checking in with your boss is great for this. Buy some nice stationery with some inspirational quotes and keep it at your desk for motivation!

Drink lots of water – always have some at your desk and have a proper breakfast – fruit/ porridge for example!

A support system of colleagues is also vital to make work that bit more fun and pull you out a rut or a low period if you feel like you’re in one. This also makes you feel much less alone which lovely. On that topic… you’re not alone at all, so many people suffer with imposter syndrome at work or get stressed or depressed at work and struggle to organise themselves and feel overwhelmed.

Try and constantly remind yourself of things you did well and times when you and boss have got on really well and really hold on any positive feedback to get you through the lower times.

And lastly – the most important one SWITCH THE F OFFLINE AFTER WORK! This one took me years to learn but it’s so important. The only way you will give your all at work is if you’ve re charged your batteries fully and gone off emails and everything.

Good luck – and go forth and be a boss man/woman – you can do it!!!

Rachel / Author & Editor

Welcome to Rachel relates - semi serious life advice for those navigating their twenties. Feel free to browse or email rachelrelates@gmail.com for specific advice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Coprights @ 2016, Blogger Templates Designed By Templateism | Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates